Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Happy New Year!

Just felt like I should write something short today. I would like to wish everyone that happens to stop here a Happy New Year. In the past I always had New Years Resolutions... one year I decided not to eat chocolate for the whole year and I almost did! I only had chocolate twice that year, once because someone offered me an ice-cream in the theater... if was dark and I couldn't tell that there were chocolate sprinkles on my vanilla ice-cream... and the second time was when I was visiting a nice old lady that offered me a piece of a chocolate cake she had just baked... I have this rule that I eat whatever is offered to me, especially when it's offered by nice old ladies... and must add very thankfully that since in France no one has offered 'frog legs' or escargot (fancy name for snails) to me yet. It wasn't easy to not eat chocolates as I LOVE chocolates, but I was committed to follow through and I did. I was proud to be good at not eating chocolate simply because I decided that I was not going to...(I know I shouldn't be proud but I admit I was quite impressed with myself...sorry)

I wish I could say, "This New Year, I will rejoice everyday for the Lord is good, I will not bow down to strange gods, I will stand firm in my faith, I will share the gospel with boldness, I will not make the same mistakes I tend to make, I will keep my mind from thinking bad thoughts, and my tongue from saying hurtful things." I say I 'wish' I could say that because just by thinking it I know I have failed already. Yet, I know the Lord doesn't give up on us, He is still encouraging us to finish this race we stated. When I fall, He's right there to help me up and keep walking. I don't have a New Years Resolution, but I do have two things that I would like to keep in mind...

First, I have been following the Lord for some time now but kind of like a fly can follow a cow. I have been there, I have seen Him do things and heard His voice, my life has been changed because of Him, but now I want more... I want to walk like him... use my hands like He used His hands, see people the way He saw people, love the way He showed us how to love... I almost have this picture of a child not only following his dad, but also trying on His shoes. As I picture Jesus walking on water... I can see myself following Him on a little boat, but I am now in a place where I want to get out of the boat and walk with Him. I want to say, Lord if it's You ask me to come to you.

Second thing... as I study and meet many people I realize that things can get a bit confusing and messy at times. A lot of people like to own the truth and wave it like a flag, and when you see many flags of truth waving you can get confused and may not know where to turn... but there is good news. As a friend said the other day... God knew people could get confused trying to figure out what truth was, so He came Himself and said "I am the way, the truth, and the life". That's good news. :) If you want to know the way... follow Him, if you want to know the truth... listen to Him, if you want to have life... give your life to Him... the little life that we try to grasp and hold on to could be gone just like that... it's so much better to put it all in God's loving hands, He loves us more than we can even imagine. So, I want to remember this whenever I get to a point where I don't know where to turn... I'll remember Jesus words and will know to follow Him, and I'll be in His truth, on the way and have a life.

These are my two thoughts as I start this new year... but I know that I could keep them for years to come. I'm so thankful for all He has done in my life this last year, I can only look forward to knowing Him more and more, and longing for His return.


"And when the disciples saw Him walking on the sea, they were troubled, saying, “It is a ghost!” And they cried out for fear. But immediately Jesus spoke to them, saying, “Be of good cheer! It is I; do not be afraid.” And Peter answered Him and said, “Lord, if it is You, command me to come to You on the water.” So He said, “Come.” And when Peter had come down out of the boat, he walked on the water to go to Jesus." - Matthew 14:26-29



3 comments:

Sis. Julie said...

HAPPY NEW YEAR to you too Sister!! I love you and am so thankful for the friendship that has developed with us. You have been such a blessing to me and I look forward to what God is going to do in you and Bro. Raphael's lives and marriage in the coming year. Your friendship is one of the wonderful things that the Lord allowed to happen in my life in 2007!! May you continue to grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ in the coming year.

Jimena said...

Thank you Sis. Julie... I too long to grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord... I too look forward to what the Lord might have for Raphael and I... I don't know what might come, but it doesn't matter... our lives are in "Good" hands. Happy New Year to you too, thank you for your love, prayers and your friendship :) Blessings

Kristina said...

Jimena,

This is a great post. Thanks for sharing :) And thanks for the comments on my blog, too.

Blessings in Return,
~Kristina

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Powered By Blogger