Thursday, July 17, 2008

"They that sow in tears..."

Lately I have been thinking a lot about harvest time, bearing fruit and blessings... I guess because it's Summer time and the market place is coloured with beautiful Summer fruits and flowers. I have never lived on a farm or had any fruits trees or vegetables to grow, but I can very well imagine how satisfying it must be to see the fruits of your labour and God's blessings. I also think much about it because I realize how much the Lord has blessed me and feel like we are bearing fruit ourselves, in a spiritual way. But I know that many around me are not feeling blessed or like they are bearing any fruit. Raphael and I can both see how the Lord is blessing us here in our home, our little village, church and family... but for some odd reason it seems like we are surrounded by many people, either near or far, that are going through very tough situations. It is one thing to have to deal with a mild headaches, a bad grade, missing a friend, criticism, a bad hair day or bird-poo on your head... all of these can be discouraging, but when you see others having to deal with deep depressions, murder of a family member, sexual abuse, chronic illness at a time when you think "Lord this is not a good time", having your dad thrown in jail while it is clear he is innocent, or no place to live, you know you have to take out your praying umbrella and cover your friends with it, and encourage your friends in your time of harvest...while they sow in tears.

Sunchi and I :)

We visited a friend near Aix-en-Province a few weeks ago and got to drive by some lavender fields that were just beautiful. While driving we noticed that there were some men collecting lavender with their reaping machine. I immediately thought of the verse about not reaping the corners of the fields so the poor and strangers could glean at the corners... and I figured that "hey, I'm a stranger...no?" So I asked my husband very nicely if he thought we could glean there. He was sure we could, but he also asked very nicely and the guys said we could take from what was left over...

I know my colours don't match, but you know, I just didn't care that day; the sky was too blue...don't you just love Sunchi's smile

And when ye reap the harvest of your land, thou shalt not make clean riddance of the corners of thy field when thou reapest, neither shalt thou gather any gleaning of thy harvest: thou shalt leave them unto the poor, and to the stranger: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 23:22

Raphael ready to go swim in the lake...hehe

It was wonderful to glean on the fields; the smell was heavenly, and working on the field made me feel so useful, blessed, like I was in the book of Ruth... like I was collecting the Lavender I planted myself! It was wonderful, and we all enjoyed it. I was able to collect so much that I gave quite a big bunch to some of my neighbors, and have left over for my mother-in-law. It makes me happy to think that their homes are filled with the fresh scent of Lavender. I think our encouragements can also have the same pleasing effect on our friends. It doesn't change the circumstances, it is just a smell of something, but it smells like hope and that can make a big difference. I know I'd love some lavender if I was going through winter. But God has a wonderful promise for anyone going through hard times, big or small; His Word says that

"They that sow in tears...
...shall reap in joy."
Psalm 126:5

That's a great promise and the encouraging verse I've been using lately. If you are going through a time of plenty, don't clean the corners of your field, leave some fruit for those around you that are going through hard times or famine. If you are going through difficult times, be of good cheer, the Lord will see you through and He promises that soon, after the winter you will reap in JOY! And we'll be right there rejoicing with you, if not begging for a bite... but it's all good!

This is when I felt like Ruth or so...

There is another famous Bible verse about sowing...
"Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap Galatians 6:7... you know? But that's a whole different story.



God Bless.... :)

7 comments:

© T u u l i V a h t r a 2 0 0 5 said...

Thats an awesome post :)

You know. When my sister was visiting me then she is the one who always notices all kinda fruits and flowers and plants..So one day she said there are lots of lavendels everywhere here! I was like "really??"..and she brought me tons and it smelled so good. Later on I discovered the way to my work I walk everyday..the whole streets are full of lavendels growing. Ive walked past them everyday but I had no idea they were lavendels:) I guess sometimes its like that in life too. We do not notice good things around us.

Your blog was a blessing and made me smile:) Thanks!
Plus I like those pictures! So cute and so nice and colorful!! :P

© T u u l i V a h t r a 2 0 0 5 said...

PS! Picture of you and your dog is so cute! I wanna meet your dog:)

Anonymous said...

This is a wonderful and beautiful post! Thank you for sharing.

Those lavender fields are absolutely gorgeous and I so appreciate how you connected that with the Bible verse.

I've often felt guilty in a sense for the wonderful blessings God has given me, because I know so many others suffer far greater than I have. But, I know God wants us to be thankful in all things - good and bad. I'm happy to hear your words today and hope I can share my blessings with others!

Anonymous said...

Those are absolutely gorgeous pictures! I love lavender. So lovely.

I can definitely relate to all that you said. I love reading your writings. Thank you.

You've also been awarded the "Kindred Spirit Award" at my blog. Thank you for your friendship and encouragement! You are a true kindred spirit.
God bless you!

Kaysie

Jimena said...

Thank you so much for your sweet and thoughtful comments.

Tuuli, as I told you before you made a great observation. We do miss out on a lot that is already around because we are not really looking for them, but I'm glad you noticed the lavender. Hope to see you soon!

You know Danielle, we had just finished a bible study on Ruth at my house right before I left for the summer, so it was easy to think about it when I got back. We talked a lot about gleaning and harvest during the study and watching it happening before me just helped to paint the story of Ruth in my head. BTW... ehem, did you notice our shoes?.... haha, hope you'll still link to me ;)

Kaysie thank you too! I have been really blessed by your posts and it just makes my heart happy to see young girls that love the Lord as you do. Thank you for the award, it;s always so humbling to receive one and to think that the person really means it. :) Thank you :)

Anonymous said...

Ahhhhh, Jimena, I didn't notice the shoes in the picture! You are so funny. Well, if it means anything at all, you are so beautiful, you would make a paper bag look good as a dress =)

June Fuentes @ A Wise Woman Builds Her Home said...

Pretty pictures!

Many blessings...

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Powered By Blogger