Thursday, October 25, 2007

So what do you do all day?

This is by far the most popular question I have gotten since I got married. "What do you do all day?" Second one... anyone wants to guess? "When are you going to get a job?" I'm not working for a "paycheck" so if I stay home "all day" what do I do? Hmmmm, I can just imagine what might go through some people's minds...

1. She sleeps in every day.
2. Watches tv while having brunch.
3. Puts music on loudly and dances wildly in her pajamas and socks.
4. Jumps on her unmade bed till she's hungry again.
5. Eats some more of what was put out for brunch.
6. Watches some more tv.
7. Looks out the window to see how many cars, dogs and crying babies go by.
8. Plays Solitaire on the computer.
9. Talks on the phone for hours.
10. Does her nails all afternoon.
11. Sings opera while taking long hot showers.
12. Pretends she's a goldfish in front of the mirror.
13. Looks all happy and pretty when husband gets back home.


I can laugh about it now, but it was kind of hard in the beginning when we were just married because even though I felt like I was doing as much as I could at home (cleaning, washing, scrubbing, ironing, decorating, and so on...) it was as if I wasn't doing anything really important as long as I was just a wife, just somebody that stays home all day. Learning to be a wife didn't come so easy either because once I was here with no one to manage and no boss to tell me how to do things, I didn't always know if I was doing things right, and it was very frustrating at times. But well... good news is that I'm extremely happy at home, I love learning all about the art of home keeping, and reading cook books, and I'm having fun trying to see how I can decorate the house, and getting some excellent advice from some sisters in Christ. My mom also came for a short visit which was a big help, and my Mother-in-law has also been very encouraging. I love getting to know my husband and searching my heart to see how I could be a better wife to him, and most importantly as my husband pointed out to me, I can make time to spend with God, to pray, to read His word, to listen to His guidance and believe it or not, sometimes I'm so busy at home I even miss to take time on this...which is not good really because He is my strength.

I guess the reason I'm writing about all this is because I have so many things on my mind lately. I'm learning so many new things and it's all related to my new role as a wife and manager of this house. And it's very important to me because I believe God has brought me here for a purpose, and if He has given me this home to take care of it is to bring glory to Him somehow... and I like that. So, if this is my purpose now, I want to do my best at it, just as I did when I was a teacher, and therapist, for the same purpose of glorifying Him. I want to be used by God, and right now my tools are not toys and paper, playdoh and markers, and scissors, but a mop, an apron, an old toothbrush, plastic gloves, a washing machine...can I do great things with these tools? Probably not, haha, but I just might if I offer them to God and let Him use them. Most definitely in fact. I mean, remember what He did with Moses' shepherding staff? He turned it into a snake in front of Pharaoh... and wasn't Moses used to shepherd His people out of Egypt, and...didn't Aaron's staff bloom now that I think of it? Now that would be cool, if my mop started to bloom, haha. But all joking aside, I know God wants to use me, and you, and no matter what we are doing right now, whether it's cleaning toilets or being the president of a company He CAN do great things if we let Him. Well.... that's enough for now... I think I will go back to jumping on my unmade bed...err, I mean scrapping the floor! \o/ Yay!

11 comments:

Sis. Julie said...

Great post!! You put this very well into words. (I can just picture you jumping on your unmade bed...LOL!! That even sounds like fun for me but my kids would think I had totally lost it!!...LOL!!) I'm so thankful to hear you doing so well with your "new" life in the home. I really feel that you are enjoying it. And that is how it should be. When our hearts are right with the Lord then we look at things a whole lot differently whan when our hearts aren't right with Him. It was such a blessing reading this post today. I love you!!

threetwentyone said...

I am laughing out loud! Ha ha! Thank you for your gift of Joy!

I can only imagine how things change when one gets married. I DO know, however, that cleaning is a very acceptable sacrifice unto God.

As for spending time with all Three of the Godhead, I really like sitting in silence and not thinking anything but just listening to and enjoying the Presence of God. It is hard and takes discipline and practice, but it is sooooo satisfying! If you are interested, I can e-mail you some resources with more information on the discipline of Silence.

I bless your house to STAY clean, I bless your marriage and the testing of its depths, and I bless your body to stay healthy and strong.

All Praise and Glory and Honor and Power to Him who is worthy! Amen

Jimena said...

Sis. Julie it is true that when our hearts are right with God our whole perspective changes, and life is just so much better, because He's there. Thanks for all the good advice, and God bless you!

Nathanael, if you don't have a blog already that I just don't know about, I will start one for you because you're a blessing to read. Silence... I should write a post about silence ;) God bless you Nathanael!

Anonymous said...

That is soooo funny!! :) (and true!!) LOL

-Kimi :)

Anonymous said...

That's a great list! I can't imagine you making up a list that creative...so it must be true! :)

I can see that many are glad you're back to posting. You are a gifted encourager through your walk with the Lord. Give my greetings to the man who married up!

Mrs. Anna T said...

Hi Jimena! Thank you for dropping by my blog. It's nice to meet you. I had a laugh reading the list of "typical" things a homemaker does at home :P

Jimena said...

Thanks Kimi :) you're sweet.

Married up? I haven' heard that one before... Thanks for "your" encouragement Doug

Hi Anna, I'm getting a lot of good and thought provoking info on your blog... thanks for sharing.

God bless you guys...

Unknown said...

Jimena,

Another American expression probably. “Marrying up” is an expression (or married up) that is meant to convey that one married better than what they deserved. Most men easily say that they married up – married someone much better than what they deserve.
:)

Courtney, Jer.33:3 said...

Oh!! You started posting again!!
What a sweet post!! Being a wife/mother is the greatest calling a woman could EVER have!!!

~~Deby said...

This post is wonderful....when you stay home all day you do indeed realize there are not hours in the day....
Today I am already wrapping Christmas presents...as I want to be DONE before the RUSH and the crowds...with having fibromyalgia it takes sooo little to get fatigued....so ...today a little hosuework has gone un-done..but I have played some Christmas music(why not..my atmosphere...my choice hahah)......and wrapped gifts....love being a Keepr at Home ..KAH..
Deby

Anonymous said...

Well said. People just don't value homemaking or think of it as a full time job.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Powered By Blogger