Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Good Riddance?

As I was unpacking my things in my new apartment I got a phone call from a lady from the head office. I was expected back at work at 18:00 for a meeting with the whole team. I knew that it was going to be about one of my colleagues. We have a colleague that has been diagnosed with a very aggressive cancer and she was only expected to live for a short time. Since it was a last minute kind of meeting I figured it was to give us really bad news and I thought I would prepare myself by praying for all to go well. I figured she was probably going to die sooner than we all thought. Turns out, I seem to have gotten some very "good" news. I just need time to let it sink in to be able to understand it apparently. See, my colleague is indeed dying, but thanks to the modern society I live in I know exactly when, where, why and how she will be dying. I was told on what day she would kill herself, where she will do it, and how she will die. This is good because it helps us to plan our days so that we can go to the memorial service, which I now know where and at what time it will be held. Convenient. Then we were asked to share our feelings about everything. If we had all been the doctors or dentists mentioned in a commercial I guess I would have been the one out of the eight that didn't agree with something. I kept hearing how this was very good because she shouldn't have to suffer anymore, how everybody could go on with their lives, how we could plan things better and how this was a better way for us to deal it as well. When I was asked what I thought, I didn't know what to say. I had been preparing myself to deal with bad news, to mourn for her to remember her, but I just wasn't expecting to talk about euthanasia. So, when I was given this kind of "good" news it just sort of turned everything upside down. All I could say was that I thought it all seemed so planned and organized that it almost didn't even seem real. I told them that I almost felt like I was reading a story where I knew the character would die on page 87, but it's just a book. I told them that I felt like I was living in a place where anything that was not pleasurable but painful had to be gotten rid of in any possible way. I told them that I just didn't know how to mourn like this. I said a lot of other things that were just brushed away as cultural differences. This culture is different from mine and that's why I don't understand this, but here... this is good. I walked out of the meeting not really feeling anything. I couldn't cry because it wasn't sad anymore, it was just plastic. A few weeks ago I did get a chance to write this colleague an e-mail where I shared that Jesus came so that we could have life, eternally. I know that a lot of people imagine heaven as a place where we will just sit around on clouds and we will all know how to play the harp, and we will be stuck with people that we probably didn't even like on earth for making us feel like they were better than us. I wouldn't want to be in a place like that, and thank goodness this is not the way the Bible presents it. I don't know if she read my e-mail and I really don't know what to think. All I know is that this just doesn't seem right, but good riddance they say.

No comments:

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Powered By Blogger