Tuesday, April 18, 2006

The Yellow School Bus Happy Incident

So on Thursday, after work, I walked to town to get my hair cut. I was getting tired of it and decided it had to go. I had already cut my hair once very short and it was sort of symbolic at the time. But this time, I was just tired of it and I felt like a new kind of start. So, I was walking along looking for a hair salon, when I saw the yellow school bus I had already seen before. Some months ago I saw it and I found it interesting because it said "Saved" and I knew it must be related to a church. I never went up to the people, but I did take a picture of it. On this Thursday I saw a woman standing next to the bus and she was being interviewed by a guy with a camera man. I was looking at them when two guys stopped me and asked me if I was "Latina". I had seen one of them before. I had been at the train station and he came up to me and asked me if I was "Spanish". I saw he had a little flyer with young people on the cover and they seemed to be dancing, so I wrongfully assumed he was going to invite me to some 'mucho caliente' Latin party. So, I said "No...", it was a lie but then again, I thought, well it could be that he's asking if I'm from Spain, and it would give me time to get away. But then I saw he was inviting me to a Christian youth event. I felt like a "shoe". So, anyway, this same guy stopped me and asked if I was "Latina"; this time I said "Yes". And then he asked me if I could speak Spanish... and I said "Si". Then he invited me to go to a church. The other guy he was with was younger and he didn't seem to want to be there. Maybe he was a bit shy or embarrassed, he didn't say anything. But then the older guy said, "Can we pray for your foot?" And I said "sure". So the younger guy looked at me and said, "Is there something wrong with your foot?" and I said "Yes... sure." And he kept asking... "How did he know that? How is that possible?" Anyway, I followed the older guy and we got on this yellow bus. The camera man also followed. So, I'm in this bus with the two guys, the camera man, and then they called the lady that was being interviewed before. They asked me what was wrong... what had happened to me, so I told them my story. Then they said they were going to pray for my healing and that it would be cool because it was all on camera!!! So... ok, the older guy put oil on my forehead and they prayed, and I listened. It was all going so fast that I wasn't really in the moment, but soon enough I also started to pray in my heart, for them, for their ministry. At the end, they asked me how I felt, and I told them that I felt good. So, the guy was telling me how God had started His healing process right then. So I thanked them and told them that I knew I would be healed if it was His will. When they prayed they didn't say for God's will to be done, and that's very important for me. So the older guy said "It is His will for you to be healed!". So, I told them that I and many people have prayed for my healing, but I also reminded them of Paul's thorn in his flesh, and how he asked the Lord three times to take it away, but the Lord said. "My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness." The older guy had sort of stopped listening because he thought it was important that I had been filmed and that they would be able to show my healing later on. I could sort of sense that he was getting a bit impatient with me. The younger guy was all ears and eyes, and so was the lady. Then I told them that I had actually stopped praying for my healing. If people want to pray for me, great! I appreciate it, but I have stopped. It is not because I don't believe God can heal me, or is not willing to heal me, nor is it because I don't want to be healed. But about three months ago, while I was praying for my healing a thought hit me. When Jesus resurrected, when he rose again he appeared to his disciples. He was talking to them, he was alive, and he even asked for something to eat, but he still had holes in his hands. Why? All I know that if he hadn't had those scars and wounds Thomas wouldn't have believed it was Jesus. And then I thought about myself, and I thought that if my wounds and pains can help someone come to Christ, then so be it. A Christian I've heard is like a little Christ. - Anyway, I shared this with them and the lady looked at me and said, "You do love God!", and I said "Yes, I do. I really do." And then she told me that she had been blessed an encouraged. The older guy gave me a hug and told me he could tell that I loved God. I walked out of there feeling light. I think their prayers did help me. Here is the thing though...I'm going to be on TV. I don't know when, it's going to be on a Friday, and that's fine and all, but I was thinking, "Lord, I'm blessed once again to see how you have planned my day, but couldn't I have been filmed after I had gotten my hair done?" - You will see the answer in my next post. Bless His name.

Concerning this thing I pleaded with the Lord three times that it might depart from me. And He said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ'’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong. - II Cor 12:8-10

3 comments:

Raphaël Pinson said...

So many people think they know what God wants, even better than Him it seems, that sometimes you wonder why Jesus had to teach His prayer to His disciples.

It is good to remind people that God's will comes before ours :)

Raphaël Pinson said...

As I was about to sleep, I thought of a comparison to make a better image on what's going on in your little story.

I'm sure many of us (mostly guys I guess) once felt like saving frogs, earthworms or snails... Imagine a young child, Stephen, walking in the garden and feeling the power he has to save all the snails around from a certain death. So here he goes, collecting snails and putting them in a bucket, then getting them all his daddy's big bathtub...
A friend of his, Jane, comes to him because she finds it really nice that he's saving all these snails. Yet she asks ``Are you sure your dad will be happy with that?''. Stephen is very sure of it : ``Of course my dad will LOVE that. See, my dad is very nice, he loves nature, he loves to help people and I'm very sure he would do exactly the same''. I'm sure however nice Stephen's dad be, there'll be a point when he doesn't really agree ;)

Even if children understand very well that snails can be saved with a bit of water, they can't live in bathtubs, and there's sometimes a reason why they must stay in the garden...

Jimena said...

Ha... I get your point. At first I was thinking, "Ok, here is someone that first described me as Halle Berry, and now I'm a worm." but I get it and yes... I can see your point. I don't want to be judgmental about what people believe to be the best for others and I'm actually pleased that they would care for my wellbeing as in this case. I hope the Lord blesses their ministry, and may the Lord touch/heal many people through them.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Powered By Blogger